Since the introduction of the American Concrete Institute’s (ACI) code requirement (ACI 318 ('08) 188.8.131.52 sub-paragraph B) to provide a pair of minimum 10,000 lbs. tension connections between concrete wall panels and foundations, engineers have struggled to find a connection solution that was simple to design and detail, and economical to fabricate and install in the field. The CONNECT-EZ™ Panel Anchor (“PA") has met the challenge!
The standard CONNECT-EZ™ “PA” (pictured left) satisfies design criteria for SDC "A" through "F" and can be modified to meet specific conditions for overturning forces due to wind loads.
The device may be installed, with the approval of the Engineer of Record, using Simpson Strong-Tie, ¾” dia., Titen HD screw anchor with a 6-3/4" minimum nominal embedment depth in normal weight concrete. (See Simpson Strong-Tie letter below) The cavity feature of the device insures that concrete anchor is installed to within 6 degrees perpendicular of the connected concrete surface as required by anchor test and qualification criteria of ACI 355.2
CONNECT-EZ Panel Anchor Cover
An optional plastic “snap-on” cover plate is available to provide a clean, finished appearance to the interior wall surface.
PA without Cover
PA Cover Installed,
CONNECT-EZ PA and Cover
CONNECT-EZ™ "PA" ADVANTAGES:
ELIMINATES FIELD WELDING connections of concrete panels to foundation
BETTER QUALITY connection
INSPECTIONS are conducted QUICKLY andRELIABLY
Connections are made from INSIDE the building
NO exterior PATCHING
REDUCED exposure to CORROSION
FASTER, SAFER drilling and installation of anchor bolts
ENGINEERS may choose to incorporate the CONNECT-EZ™ Panel Anchor as a “standard detail” for most concrete wall panel designs…saving design and detailing time.
CONNECT-EZ™ "PA" satisfies ACI Code requirements (ACI 318 ('08') 184.108.40.206 sub-paragraph B) for 10,000 LBS. nominal tension capacity for the connection of concrete panels to foundations. It may be installed using Simpson Strong-Tie, 3/4" dia., Titen HD screw anchor with 6-3/4" minimum nominal embedment depth in normal weight concrete, with approval of the engineer of record.
CONNECT-EZ™ "PA" satisfies design criteria for SDC "A" through "F" and can be modified to meet specific conditions for overturning forces due to wind loads.
CONNECT-EZ™ "PA" insures that concrete anchors are installed within 6 degrees perpendicular to the connected concrete surface as required per anchor test and qualification criteria of ACI 355.2.
Engineering; Structural Calculations:
September 6, 2012
Mr. Terry Tincher
P.O. Box 219
Harveysburg, OH 45032
RE: Use of the Titen HD Screw Anchor with the Connect EZ Panel Anchor
The Simpson Strong-Tie Company will support the use of the ¾ inch diameter, Titen HD screw anchor at a 6-3/4 inch nominal embedment depth and in conjunction with the proprietary precast concrete panel connector, the Connect-EZ Panel Anchor. A 6-3/4 inch nominal embedment depth is ½ inch deeper than the maximum nominal embedment depth for which the ¾ inch diameter, Titen HD screw anchor is presently qualified per ICC ES Code Report ESR-2713; however, this nominal embedment depth is necessary to meet the 10,000 lbs. ultimate tension strength requirement for precast concrete panel base connections as required by the American Concrete Institute. The Simpson Strong-Tie Company will support the use of the ¾ inch diameter, Titen HD in this application under the following special conditions:
1. All holes drilled in concrete for the installation of the ¾” Titen HD screw anchor shall be performed using nominal ¾ inch diameter, carbide drill bits that are within the tolerance requirements of ANSI Standard B212.15.
2. All holes drilled in concrete for the installation of the ¾” Titen HD screw anchor shall be cleaned in accordance with the Simpson Strong-Tie Company’s published hole cleaning instructions.
3. All concrete into which a ¾” Titen HD screw anchor is to be installed shall be normal weight and have a compressive strength of not less than 2800 psi or more than 4000 psi (2800 psi ≤ f ’c ≤ 4000 psi) at the time of Titen HD installation.
4. The Design Professional in responsible charge of the design of any and all buildings, structures, or facilities, etc., where the ¾” Titen HD screw anchor will be used in conjunction with the Connect-EZ Panel Anchor shall have determined that it is permissible for post-installed anchor designs to be based on uncracked concrete service conditions.
5. The distance between the centerline of any ¾” Titen HD screw anchor and any concrete edge shall not be less than 8 inches and the centerline-to-centerline spacing of adjacent Titen HD screw anchors shall not be less than 16 inches.
6. All electric or pneumatic tools used to install any ¾” Titen HD screw anchor shall have maximum torque ratings not greater than 385 ft. lbs.
7. All Titen HD screw anchor installations shall be for dry, interior service environments and no Titen HD shall be temporarily exposed to exterior environments or other wet conditions for more than 90 days.
In addition to the special conditions specified herein, all other provisions of ICC ES Code Report ESR-2713 that are not modified in this letter shall remain in full effect.
Should you require additional service or information, please contact Simpson Strong-Tie at 800/999-5099.
Mark Jarvinen, P.E. Field Engineer Simpson Strong-Tie Anchor Systems
What people are saying about CONNECT-EZ™...
"CONNECT-EZ™ makes Meyer Bros' building projects faster, safer and more competitive. The steel erector on a recent tilt-up project reported significant labor savings during erection. And the structural steel inspector was pleased that he could conduct visual inspections safely from the ground and the connections reduced field welding. We look forward to using CONNECT-EZ™ on future projects."
- Mark Meyer, President, Meyer Bros Building Co
"At Star, we erect our own steel on construction projects. Using the CONNECT-EZ™ system saved us labor time during the erection process. We saved man hours by having one person making two connections at the same time both safely and securely.
CONNECT-EZ™ will be used on future projects for our company. Anytime a product or method comes along to help increase productivity, while maintaining safety and extending value to the customer cannot be overlooked. We look forward to using CONNECT-EZ™ in the future"
- Kim Mulder, President, STAR Design-Build Contractors
"The Connect-EZ™ PA connection was an excellent choice for TCC Bahamas. Initial design, using welded and bolted panel to footing connections, was a costly option, both monetarily and in time. The EZ connection system made for a quick and seamless installation, with very minimal supervision and coordination necessary. Always keeping an eye on the bottom dollar, this was a win-win for us."
"As an architect and professional member of the construction team for numerous commercial building projects throughout the country, I recognize the simplicity of the CONNECT-EZ™ devices. I also appreciate the labor-saving value they bring to the contractor as well as the building owner. CONNECT-EZ™ offers designers an efficient alternative to field welding many critical connections. The devices lend themselves to quick and reliable inspections. I am pleased to see the introduction of the CONNECT-EZ™ products into our industry.
- James C. Hawthorn, Registered Architect
"Not having to do any field welding makes the whole process faster and safer."
- Channing Chism, Lead Foreman, Summit Concrete, Lee's Summit, MO
"Working from the inside of the building on the concrete floor sure made the job faster and easier."
- Manoah Harbottle, Superintendent, Summit Concrete, Lee's Summit, MO
"Since the PA connection is installed on the interior of the panel, the connection is not exposed to the earth and therefore is not susceptible to corrosion as the traditional base connection would be. The connections do not require special coating by galvanizing or elastomeric paint, saving time and material."